Posted: 6th September 2019
Roofs are one of the most critical components of any house. Many households prefer metal roofs for their dream home because of advantages such as durability, aesthetic appeal, safety, energy efficiency, and sustainability. Compared to their traditional counterparts, metal roofs are also cheaper to manufacture, engineer, and install. One of the best ways to protect the benefits of a metal roof is to use the right paint.
Metal roof coating is done for several purposes such as protecting the roofing system from elements such as solar radiation, heat, and moisture. These coatings are also used for the restoration of failing and aging roofing systems. Different types of roof paints are available to address the specific roofing needs of the homeowners.
Mentioned below are the most important benefits of using metal roof paint.
- Waterproofing: One of the foremost objectives of using roof paints is to protect the roof from moisture. Selection of the correct roof paint should be done considering the slope and moisture of the roof. For example, if there is ponding, use of coal tar based products can be helpful because they provide a thickness and increase the slope. Acrylics based paints, on the other hand, are not too efficient under standing water.
- Elastomeric Properties: One of the most important reasons of using metal roof paint is to make use of its elastomeric properties. This refers to a product’s ability to contract or expand with changes in temperature. Under extreme changes in temperature, roof coatings that are rigid can crack and lead to start leaking. Paints with elastic properties can be used to create a hard surface that is resistant to cuts and tears. Polyurethane sealants can be used during repairs for permanent flexibility and superior resistance to weather elements.
- Energy Efficiency: If you are looking for a cooler roof surface, aluminum based coatings can be used to reflect sunlight. Ceramic coatings are also capable of deflecting heat. It has been observed that these coatings can reflect up to 85 percent of incident solar radiation from any given surface. Extreme changes in temperature cause the metal roofs to expand and contract, and puts the joints under stress. Therefore, in hot climates, solar reflective coatings can be used to limit the temperature changes.
- Chemical resistance: Using metal roof paint with chemical resistance can be extremely useful under certain conditions. Coatings with polyureas, polyurethanes, coal tar, and silicones are commonly used for this purpose. Resistance to certain chemicals can also be enhanced by applying a primer.
- Durability: A high quality roof with the proper paint can serve the homeowners two times longer compared to the traditional roofing systems. This significantly cuts down their expense on repair and replacement. These savings can be increased further by protecting the structural integrity of the roof via routine repainting.
- Aesthetics: Metal roof paints are available these days in many attractive colors. As a result, the homeowners can easily choose colors that blend well with the natural environment or the neighborhood color palate.